As always, last month went by in a flash. My 2 1/2-week-long winter vacation ended, and it was back to work for me, back to school for the hubby. We are thankful to have made it through the holidays and thereafter in generally good health. The break from work and school was so refreshing. I accomplished a lot less than I’d planned, but that doesn’t mean my time was wasted.
Speaking of school, it’s the hubby’s last semester before graduation! We had an eventful couple of weeks right before winter break; a few situations threatened his ability to finish school — a huge exercise in our faith and trust in God. Thankfully, those issues have been resolved, to the best of our knowledge, and the hubby is well on his way to be DONE in exactly three months and one day. He’s actively job searching, and we’re just waiting for what’s next, daydreaming and tossing ideas around all the time.
In the meantime, the Lord is providing me with plenty of work and more than enough reliable child care. On the hard days I complain and want to give up (truthfully, it’s not the only thing going on that challenges me), but it is good that we have this work. We are in a much better place than we were even a year ago.
We started going to a different Bible study during the week thanks to the hubby’s more open schedule this semester, and we love it. We’re making more friends and getting plugged in to our church more, something that I’ve felt was sorely lacking in our life the last couple of years. It’s a blessing. And it’s happening right when we might be picking up and moving, right? Ha! Well, if we stay put for a while, that will be one of many benefits.
We also started taking Financial Peace University, Dave Ramsey’s class. Well, it’s more like I’m dragging the hubby to it (he is skeptical), but at least we’re getting some ideas on how to manage our money going forward. Our total debt is literally insurmountable without foreseeable years of serious work, patience, and a miracle or two. Yet another thing I must trust God with.
Here’s an update on where I am with my goals at the conclusion of “Chapter 1 of 12”:
- Go to bed early; wake up early :: Everything — EVERYTHING — I want to accomplish starts here. Why is it so difficult to discipline myself in this area?
- Finish Matthew commentaries :: Slowly but surely.
- Read three chapters of Scripture per day :: Finished Isaiah today; starting Jeremiah tomorrow. Also following little reading plans overseen by our pastor’s wife.
- Fill up prayer journal by end of year :: This is the slowest of them all, but I’m hoping to change that this month if I can get my sleep schedule on track.
- Keep phone away from bedside; spend less time on social media :: My dissatisfaction with social media is increasing. I have been choosing not to check Facebook so frequently, and my mind is much clearer. Tonight the phone MUST be physically distanced from me so I can fall asleep earlier and wake up faster. That habit alone is stunting the rest of my goals.
- Openly share more spiritually-directed thoughts with my hubby and with others :: I acted on the few opportunities I had to do this, thankfully.
- Daily yoga at home :: Yes! I finished 30 Days of Yoga (by Yoga with Adriene) and absolutely loved it! Now I’m doing her Yoga Camp playlist. Daily yoga has made a staggering night-and-day difference in my well-being.
- Spend more time walking/hiking outside (summer camping trips are right around the corner!) :: The weather has been so warm lately that I really don’t have an excuse for not being outside. Baby steps, maybe? I’m thinking once I reset my sleep schedule, I can take walks early in the morning or something. Ugh, everything depends on that darned sleep schedule.
- Save up my pennies for some hiking gear :: The hubby gave me an REI gift card for Christmas, and I can’t wait to do a little shopping.
- Eat more strictly paleo, larger emphasis on daily bone broth and vegetables at every meal :: Ehh, my diet’s been a little bit of a fail lately. I eat very healthily, but my body is giving me signals that it’s not quite good enough for healing (my skin is punishing me for eating wheat a few times this last week).
- Coffee enemas 1x/week :: These are time-consuming, so I haven’t performed one in a couple weeks. Might go for it tomorrow morning before church if I make good progress on today’s to-do list.
Career (aim to complete by May 2018):
(I haven’t done any of these this month… for shame, I know! Running out of time!)
- Register for and earn RPR certification
- New business cards after RPR certification
- Finish self-directed software training
- Compose a rates sheet and raise my SoCal rates
- Improve audio recording setup
- Attend online classes/seminars for CEUs and realtime training
- Start realtime reporting
- Attend FPU with the hubby and apply its principles :: Well, we’ve both shown up to every class so far, so we are one-third of the way done! There is no class tomorrow because of the Super Bowl; we are planning to have our budget meeting in its place.
- Overhaul our financials and money management :: Lord knows I’ve been aching to do this since day one; praying the hubby will be responsive, diligent, and proactive in this.
(I don’t expect these to be solved overnight; nothing to show here either)
- Help hubby find a full-time job after his GRADUATION in
- Get pregnant with Baby #2 after that job is found!
- Find a new place to live and finally close this chapter of our life!
*(These are contingent on lots of things beyond my control, but they’d be the most fun to cross off this list.)